1204 Whiskey Rd, Suite B
2008 CNTA Essay Scholarship
The results are in for this year's CNTA Essay Scholarship!
Last year CNTA awarded one $1500 essay scholarship. In 2008 we awarded three $1500 scholarships to students, accompanied by $500 grants to the public schools. In 2007 there were three essays submitted from three high schools in two counties in the CSRA. This year there were ten essays submitted from six high schools in four counties, including five essays each from 11th graders and 12th graders. One essay represented Richmond County GA; one represented Lexington County SC; two came from Aiken County SC; and six essays were prepared for Columbia County GA.
This year's essay contestants were able to choose from one of three topics.
- Nuclear Power's Impact on Air Quality Worldwide
- Application of Nuclear Science and Technology to Modern Medicine
- Industrial Uses of Nuclear Science and Technology that Affect Everyday Life
Now for the results:
- Cecilia Wyrick -- 11th Grade, Lexington High School, Lexington, Lexington County, SC: "Nuclear Power's Impact on Air Quality Worldwide"
- Bryce Cartledge -- 11th Grade, Evans High School, Evans, Columbia County, GA: "Nuclear Power's Impact on Air Quality Worldwide"
- Isaac Guffey -- 11th Grade, Evans High School, Evans, Columbia County, GA: "Industrial Uses of Nuclear Science and Technology that Affects Everyday Life"
The winners were presented certificates at the 'awards day' held at their high schools.
Congratulations to the winners and to the schools who participated!
Special thanks are offered to Tom Varallo and family and Parsons, for joining CNTA as sponsors of these annual awards.
If your company or you, as an individual, would like to sponsor an award, please contact the CNTA offices. We hope to expand each year to involve more students in nuclear technology.
CNTA Essay Committee Chair
Questions, Comments, Concerns about our Website? Let us know!